Elisa Camahort's Blog
Saturday, March 18, 2006
Elisa Camahort's CV, updated as of 09/28/06
Elisa R. Camahort
SENIOR MARKETING CONSULTANT WITH HIGHLY DEVELOPED INTERPERSONAL, COMMUNICATION AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS: 16 years experience. All aspects of product management and product marketing, from hands-on to people and project management. Strategic thinker who drives real-time programs and processes. Dynamic communicator, skilled at grasping and communicating the nuances of technology to audiences including engineers, sales people, customers and journalists. Company leader nominated for the 2002 SCTE Women in Technology Award.
BLOGHER LLC: 02/05-Present
Co-Founder & President, Events & Marketing
Founded in February 2005 by Elisa Camahort, Jory Des Jardins and Lisa Stone, BlogHer LLC's mission is to create opportunities for women bloggers to pursue exposure, education, and community, through online platforms and regular conferences. The BlogHer Community is the Web’s number one guide to blogs by women, where 60+ editors write guides to the hottest blogging by women in 20+ popular topics.. The company’s second annual conference, BlogHer '06, has expanded into a two-day conference taking place in San Jose, CA, July 28-29. In addition to the web community and conferences, BlogHer has a consultancy arm, and its latest initiative is the BlogHer Advertising Network, BlogHer's first qualified, targeted environment for contextual advertising showcasing a growing list of women bloggers who are parents. For more information see http://blogher.org/advertise.
WORKER BEES: BUZZ MARKETING & MORE: 5/03-Present
Founder & President
Consultancy on enterprise blogging and social media. Online marketing programs for the enterprise and non-profit communities. Product life cycle management and marketing consulting for the high-tech industry.
* Representative Project Experience
- Professional blogger, blogging for enterprise, advocacy and arts organizations
− Online marketing program for non-profit arts organizations; blogging, online community outreach, email blasts and search engine advertising. Increased awareness and online ticket sales.
− "Effective Marketing for Small Business" workshop development for LIFT
- Research, develop and write series of Case Studies for prominent non-profit Foundation
− Message Committee co-chair and official blogger for the Santa Clara County Democratic Party
− New Product Introduction (NPI) process roll-out for medium-sized equipment vendor. Process definition, documentation and training for senior personnel.
− Creating outbound messaging for broadband system companies, including corporate presentations and technical papers/presentations for public speaking engagements
− Monthly column in the Metro [Silicon Valley & Santa Cruz editions] (Adult circ. 604,000)
TERAYON COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, SANTA CLARA CA: 8/99-4/03
Senior Director of Product Marketing: 09/00-4/03
Managed team of product managers owning cable-focused digital video and high speed data products, and the software to manage same. Owned product management and marketing functions. Drove product life cycle from concept to end-of-life, positioning products to internal and external customers.
- Primary author of board-approved 2003 Business Plan for critical CMTS product line
- Negotiated MOUs, Partnership & Reseller Agreements, obtaining highly favorable financial terms
- Company evangelist to press, industry and financial analysts; improving company visibility and establishing company as expert in new arenas (e.g. DOCSIS, Open Access and MPLS) via increased volume of press quotes, article placements and industry speaking engagements.
- Championed company advanced physical layer technology, its benefits and its market readiness to standards bodies & customers. Technology ultimately included in DOCSIS 2.0 specification.
- Primary presenter of product and technology pitches to top cable MSO executives
- Spearheaded New Product Introduction (NPI) process approved for company roll-out
- Developed, launched and maintained all cable products for headend and home. Created marketing definition, negotiated feature priorities, owned roadmap, established price and position.
- Led outbound marketing, delivering sales tools, web content, trade show messaging
- Promoted from Director to Senior Director within 22 months
Product Marketing Manager: 8/99-9/00
Managed OEM relationships representing company's first foray into the standards-based high speed data market, including retail efforts. Delivered outbound marketing content and tools for all products.
- Led cross-functional teams to introduce and maintain OEM DOCSIS products for headend and home. DOCSIS certification received for all products.
- Point person for company's first retail deployment of cable modems. Created specialized content and procedures to lead retail launch, entering a new market in a short time frame.
- Created major new sales tools to inform and motivate an international sales force for all product lines, including Product Briefs, Sales Bulletins, 'Talking Points' and a Field Newsletter. New tools in use today.
- Published articles, technical papers and gave presentations at industry conferences.
- Promoted from Product Manager to Director within 13 months
HARMONIC INC, SUNNYVALE CA: 5/97-8/99
Product Marketing Specialist, Digital Video Systems: 8/98-8/99
Created product proposals, from positioning copy to digital network designs and contributed to all outbound marketing content for the newly launched product line.
- Created proposals for network deployments, particularly video-on-demand architectures, incorporating DWDM transport and custom multiplex creation from remote satellite and local content sources. Evaluated requirements, produced requisite system configurations and network diagrams, including integration with third party equipment. Prepared proposals resulting in $2.5M in booked sales in Q2, 1999.
- Published articles, technical papers and a 'beige paper' brochure, positioning product line and promoting Harmonic as both a technological leader and overall market expert
- Researched and developed technical data and market intelligence to write and maintain product line overview and product descriptions for use in collateral, press releases and proposal inserts
- Contributed to all outbound material for new product line launch
Product Marketing Coordinator: 5/97-8/98
Program managed two major product launches; supported team with market research.
- Program managed initial release of the TRANsend (tm) digital video and METROLink (tm) DWDM product lines. Determined technical requirements to prepare quotes and oversaw orders from entry to shipping. Conducted fact-check of designs, purchase orders and sales orders. Managed allocations for demo and revenue orders. Provided factory with build-priority. Maintained deployment schedule and tracked booked and shipped revenues.
- Performed market research, providing market, competitive and technical data used in product development and strategic marketing decision-making process
- Promoted from Coordinator to Specialist within 15 months
COMMODITY ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS, SAN JOSE, CA (CAS): 2/93-5/97
PROSPECTIVE COMMODITIES, LOS ALTOS, CA 6/90-2/93
Seven years in the fast-paced and extremely detail-dependent commodities industry, first working with a registered trading adviser, then for a firm that did accounting for trading advisers and commodity pool operators. Oversaw marketing efforts for both companies.
- Represented firms at all industry conferences and directed re-design of CAS' exhibit booth
- Prepared all proposals & quotes for Prospective Commodities and developed marketing materials for both companies, including direct mail, company brochures and sales letters
- Produced User Notices outlining new developments in CAS' on-line accounting system
- Performed commodity trading with brokerage firms; tracked and reconciled trades and positions
- Generated financial statements in compliance with federal and industry regulations.
- Trained & supervised new employees; managed payroll, A/R & A/P for Prospective
- Trained new users of CAS system & provided ongoing technical support via phone and dial-in
- Created & maintained CAS technical support documentation, reducing customer care calls
B.A. (with High Honors) San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Technical Training: DOCSIS Security Seminar, 10/03; MPLS Technical Tutorial, 2/01; QoS and IP Policing Technical Tutorial 9/00; DOCSIS training 2/00; Digital Video Compression Seminar 1/99; Harmonic Digital Video Technical Training 4/98
Management Training: Strategic Selling 04/02; Media Training 08/01; The Retail Market 05/00; PRTM Product Development; Effective Interviewing 11/99; Time Management Seminar 2/98
American Marketing Association, Silicon Valley Chapter (SVAMA)
Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE)
Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT)
Women in Telecommunications (WIT)
Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing (CTAM)
Award for Corporate Leadership, 2002
2002 SCTE Women in Technology Award Nominee
Top scorer: Sales & Marketing Product Knowledge & Skill Assessment, 2001
ARTICLE PUBLICATIONS AND PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS
Monthly column in The Metro, an alternative weekly
'How to guide a community into building itself' LIvewire, the JWT Mature Market Group Newsletter Spring 2006 issue
'5 Things Patients Want' The Journal of Medical Practice Management Spring '06 Issue
'Is a blog the next marketing tool for you?' Agent's Sales Journal 12/05 (circ. 475,000)
'You call that a blog?' New Communications Blogzine 06/05
'DOCSIS 2.0 Blazes New Videoconferencing Trail' (co-author: J. Turner) CED Magazine 02/02
'Making the Case for MPLS' Cable Datacom News 12/01
'DOCSIS 2.0: the path to increased revenue' Cable & Satellite Europe Magazine 10/01
'Next Generation Advanced Telecommunication Service Delivery' IT Business News (Germany) 11/00
'The Multiservice Challenge-New Revenue Opportunities for Cable Operators' Telecommunications Int'l 04/00
'Creating Smarter Headends' (co-author: P. Harshman) CED Magazine 06/99
'How Blogs Are Changing Communications' Omaha Advertising Federation 04/07
'Healthcare Blogging: Strategy & Tactics' Healthcare Blogging Summit 12/06
'Building Online Communities' Blog Business Summit '06 10/06
'Managing Blogs & Wikis for the Enterprise' Office 2.0 Conference 10/06
'Writing for the Web' MIMA Summit 10/06
'How Blogs Are Changing Communications' Coastal Advertising & Marketing Professionals 09/06
'How are Your Blogs Changing Your World' BlogHer Conference '06 07/06
'RSS-how it's used for good and evil' Microsoft Mac BU Brown Bag series 07/06
'Internal and Community Collaboration' SD Forum Collaboration SIG 06/06
'Building Bridges' Bloggercon IV 06/06
'Technologies for Integrated Marketing' The American Advertising Federation National Conference 06/06
'Distributed Grassroots Marketing' NetSquared '06 05/06
'Blogging Fundamentals' Women's Interchange at SLAC 04/06
'Finding Your Voice' Ms. J.D. Advisory Board Conference 03/06
'We Got Naked, Now What?' SXSW Interactive 03/06
'Made To Measure: Techniques for Charting New Communications Success' New Communications Forum 03/06
'Blogs, Podcast, Advergaming, and More: Social Software as Tools for K-12 Sales & Marketing' Quality Education Data Roundtable 09/05
'Vlogging and Blogging & Podcasts, Oh My!' Yerba Buena Center 09/05
'$$$ and Sense' BlogHer Conference '05 07/05
'Blogs: the Next Big Thing in Marketing & Communications' Stanford Publishing Courses Virtual Seminars 05/05
'Everything You Pretend to Know About Technology' AMA, Silicon Valley Chapter 04/05
'Enterprise Blogging' Stanford Digital Vision Fellowship Program, Stanford University 02/05
'Blogging: Another Tool in the Arsenal' EBIG Blogging/RSS Interest Group 01/05
'Advancing in a Technical World, Without a Technical Background' EBIG Women's Interest Group 11/04
'Introduction to Blogging' C6 Marketing SIG 06/04
'Advancing in a Technical World, Without a Technical Background' BMA Product Mgmt. Roundtable 06/04
'The Cable Modem: the Heart of a Distributed Home Gateway' (paper/presentation) Broadband Plus 12/02
'Open Access and the Cable Subscriber' (co-author, w/M. Denholm, paper & presenter) CableTec 06/02
'The Evolution of DOCSIS and the Business Drivers Behind It' WICT Conference 03/02
'Open Access Considerations' Panel Member WICT Conference 03/02
'Ready Your Networks for Open Access' (paper/presentation) Western Cable Show 11/01
'Opportunities Through Technical Education' NAMIC 09/01
'Technology Advances and Your Bottom Line: Service Delivery in the 21st Century' ECC 04/01
'Maximising Data Headend Deployments for the Delivery of Next Generation Broadband Services' BCE 10/00
'Maximizing Spectrum Utilization for the Delivery of Data Services' ECC 10/99
'The New Frontier of Custom Digital Services' (co-author, w/S. Toteda & P. Harshman, paper/presentation) NCTA 06/99