Elisa Camahort's Blog
Monday, October 20, 2003
Elisa Camahort's CV
Elisa R. Camahort
SENIOR MARKETING PROFESSIONAL WITH HIGHLY DEVELOPED INTERPERSONAL, COMMUNICATION AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS: Over 10 years experience. All aspects of product management and product marketing, from hands-on to people and project management. Strategic thinker who drives real-time programs and processes. Dynamic communicator, skilled at grasping and communicating the nuances of technology to audiences including engineers, sales people, customers and journalists. Company leader nominated for the 2002 SCTE Women in Technology Award.
WORKER BEES: BUZZ MARKETING CONSULTING: 5/03-Present
Founder & President
Product life cycle management and marketing consulting for the high-tech industry. Online marketing programs for the small business and non-profit communities.
* Representative Project Experience
− Online marketing program for non-profit arts organization; generating 50% of online sales
− Message Committee and official blogger for the Santa Clara County Democratic Party (volunteer)
− New Product Introduction (NPI) process roll-out for medium-sized equipment vendor. Process definition, documentation and training for senior personnel.
− Creating outbound messaging for broadband system companies, including corporate presentations and technical papers/presentations for public speaking engagements.
TERAYON COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, SANTA CLARA CA: 8/99-4/03
Senior Director of Product Marketing: 09/00-4/03
Managed team of product managers owning cable-focused digital video and high speed data products, and the software to manage same. Owned product management and marketing functions. Drove product life cycle from concept to end-of-life, positioning products to internal and external customers.
- Primary author of board-approved 2003 Business Plan for critical CMTS product line
- Negotiated MOUs, Partnership & Reseller Agreements, obtaining highly favorable financial terms
- Company evangelist to press, industry and financial analysts; improving company visibility and establishing company as expert in new arenas (e.g. DOCSIS, Open Access and MPLS) via increased volume of press quotes, article placements and industry speaking engagements.
- Championed company advanced physical layer technology, its benefits and its market readiness to standards bodies & customers. Technology ultimately included in DOCSIS 2.0 specification.
- Primary presenter of product and technology pitches to top cable MSO executives
- Spearheaded New Product Introduction (NPI) process approved for company roll-out
- Developed, launched and maintained all cable products for headend and home. Created marketing definition, negotiated feature priorities, owned roadmap, established price and position.
- Led outbound marketing, delivering sales tools, web content, trade show messaging
- Promoted from Director to Senior Director within 22 months
Product Marketing Manager: 8/99-9/00
Managed OEM relationships representing company's first foray into the standards-based high speed data market, including retail efforts. Delivered outbound marketing content and tools for all products.
- Led cross-functional teams to introduce and maintain OEM DOCSIS products for headend and home. DOCSIS certification received for all products.
- Point person for company's first retail deployment of cable modems. Created specialized content and procedures to lead retail launch, entering a new market in a short time frame.
- Created major new sales tools to inform and motivate an international sales force for all product lines, including Product Briefs, Sales Bulletins, 'Talking Points' and a Field Newsletter. New tools in use today.
- Published articles, technical papers and gave presentations at industry conferences.
- Promoted from Product Manager to Director within 13 months
HARMONIC INC, SUNNYVALE CA: 5/97-8/99
Product Marketing Specialist, Digital Video Systems: 8/98-8/99
Created product proposals, from positioning copy to digital network designs and contributed to all outbound marketing content for the newly launched product line.
- Created proposals for network deployments, particularly video-on-demand architectures, incorporating DWDM transport and custom multiplex creation from remote satellite and local content sources. Evaluated requirements, produced requisite system configurations and network diagrams, including integration with third party equipment. Prepared proposals resulting in $2.5M in booked sales in Q2, 1999.
- Published articles, technical papers and a 'beige paper' brochure, positioning product line and promoting Harmonic as both a technological leader and overall market expert
- Researched and developed technical data and market intelligence to write and maintain product line overview and product descriptions for use in collateral, press releases and proposal inserts
- Contributed to all outbound material for new product line launch
Product Marketing Coordinator: 5/97-8/98
Program managed two major product launches; supported team with market research.
- Program managed initial release of the TRANsend (tm) digital video and METROLink (tm) DWDM product lines. Determined technical requirements to prepare quotes and oversaw orders from entry to shipping. Conducted fact-check of designs, purchase orders and sales orders. Managed allocations for demo and revenue orders. Provided factory with build-priority. Maintained deployment schedule and tracked booked and shipped revenues.
- Performed market research, providing market, competitive and technical data used in product development and strategic marketing decision-making process
- Promoted from Coordinator to Specialist within 15 months
COMMODITY ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS, SAN JOSE, CA (CAS): 2/93-5/97
PROSPECTIVE COMMODITIES, LOS ALTOS, CA 6/90-2/93
Seven years in the fast-paced and extremely detail-dependent commodities industry, first working with a registered trading adviser, then for a firm that did accounting for trading advisers and commodity pool operators. Oversaw marketing efforts for both companies.
- Represented firms at all industry conferences and directed re-design of CAS' exhibit booth
- Prepared all proposals & quotes for Prospective Commodities and developed marketing materials for both companies, including direct mail, company brochures and sales letters
- Produced User Notices outlining new developments in CAS' on-line accounting system
- Performed commodity trading with brokerage firms; tracked and reconciled trades and positions
- Generated financial statements in compliance with federal and industry regulations.
- Trained & supervised new employees; managed payroll, A/R & A/P for Prospective
- Trained new users of CAS system & provided ongoing technical support via phone and dial-in
- Created & maintained CAS technical support documentation, reducing customer care calls
B.A. (with High Honors) San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Technical Training: DOCSIS Security Seminar, 10/03; MPLS Technical Tutorial, 2/01; QoS and IP Policing Technical Tutorial 9/00; DOCSIS training 2/00; Digital Video Compression Seminar 1/99; Harmonic Digital Video Technical Training 4/98
Management Training: Strategic Selling 04/02; Media Training 08/01; The Retail Market 05/00; PRTM Product Development; Effective Interviewing 11/99; Time Management Seminar 2/98
American Marketing Association, Silicon Valley Chapter (SVAMA)
Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE)
Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT)
Women in Telecommunications (WIT)
Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing (CTAM)
Group Coach for LIFT (Life Is For the Taking)
Award for Corporate Leadership, 2002
2002 SCTE Women in Technology Award Nominee
Top scorer: Sales & Marketing Product Knowledge & Skill Assessment, 2001
ARTICLE PUBLICATIONS AND PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS OF TECHNICAL PAPERS
Starting July 2004: Monthly column in The Metro, a Silicon Valley weekly
'DOCSIS 2.0 Blazes New Videoconferencing Trail' (co-author: J. Turner) CED Magazine 02/02
'Making the Case for MPLS' Cable Datacom News 12/01
'DOCSIS 2.0: the path to increased revenue' Cable & Satellite Europe Magazine 10/01
'Next Generation Advanced Telecommunication Service Delivery' IT Business News (Germany) 11/00
'The Multiservice Challenge-New Revenue Opportunities for Cable Operators' Telecommunications Int'l 04/00
'Creating Smarter Headends' (co-author: P. Harshman) CED Magazine 06/99
'The Cable Modem: the Heart of a Distributed Home Gateway' (paper/presentation) Broadband Plus 12/02
'Open Access and the Cable Subscriber' (co-author, w/M. Denholm, paper & presenter) CableTec 06/02
'The Evolution of DOCSIS and the Business Drivers Behind It' WICT Conference 03/02
'Open Access Considerations' Panel Member WICT Conference 03/02
'Ready Your Networks for Open Access' (paper/presentation) Western Cable Show 11/01
'Opportunities Through Technical Education' NAMIC 09/01
'Technology Advances and Your Bottom Line: Service Delivery in the 21st Century' ECC 04/01
'Maximising Data Headend Deployments for the Delivery of Next Generation Broadband Services' BCE 10/00
'Maximizing Spectrum Utilization for the Delivery of Data Services' ECC 10/99
'The New Frontier of Custom Digital Services' (co-author, w/S. Toteda & P. Harshman, paper/presentation) NCTA 06/99